Sunday, 12 October 2014

Moving My Garden ... And My Blog

How to move a garden ...

1) Move all the plants you want to keep into pots.



2) Hire a van and line it with sheets of cardboard and paper sacks to keep it clean..



3) See how many plants you can fit in the van (starting with the biggest and most important). Look at the plants still waiting on the pavement, and decide which ones are duplicates which you can bear to leave behind. Move the ones in the van round a bit. Pile some of the smaller ones on top of the bigger ones. Squeeze the rest in and balance some bird feeders on the top.



4) Collapse. The next day, drive to new garden and unload the van at top speed while an estate agent waits in his car, because you don't actually own the property yet so he has to unlock the gate for you.

Thankfully the house we bought was empty and our vendors agreed to let us move our plants to its garden a few days before our completion date, as the alternative would have been moving them all from Cambridge to my parents' house in Kent and then from Kent to the Cotswolds, and our move was already complicated enough!

If you are sharp-eyed you may have noticed that the photos in this post are actually in reverse, as by the time we had finished loading the van it was too dark to take photos, so I took them when were in the middle of unloading (and therefore in a tearing hurry - sorry this is reflected in the quality of the photos).

How to move a blog ...

I decided that, as The Clockwork Dodo is mainly about our Cambridge garden, I should start a new blog to write about our new garden. I wanted another dodo-based name, so as the new garden is about four times the size of the old one and there is plenty of room for visiting dodos, I have called it A Garden Full Of Dodos.

Although I'd hoped to get the new blog online a little earlier in the year, I am quite pleased I have managed in the end to do it today, as 12 October is the anniversary of The Clockwork Dodo! I'm going to keep some things the same on both blogs, but others will be a little different, as I wanted a bit of a change. I will also be updating some things (eg my pages, which have some out-of-date information on them) over the coming months.

I'll keep The Clockwork Dodo for occasional posts about other things, so please don't delete it from your blog-roll or bookmarks. This post will appear on both blogs as it is an introduction to the new one, but from now on if you want to find out about my new garden, please head over to A Garden Full Of Dodos. I'll try to post there a bit more regularly!

4 comments:

Gwenfar's Garden said...

Hi Juliet, Michell (VP) has just introduced me to your blog via my blog http://www.gwenfarsgarden.info/. I used to live in Oxford and about 18 months ago moved to Sheffield, and had the same dilemma as you as to what plants I could squeeze in the truck. It's always hard leaving plants behind.

Michelle mentioned you as I'm starting a new 'meme' on Gardening with ME/a chronic illness. The idea is to blog about the challenges and successes that are involved when you garden with a chronic illness. So if you are interested in taking part, link to this post in yours, and leave a comment below with a link to your post, so we can all find each other.

See my intro post: http://www.gwenfarsgarden.info/2014/10/gardening-with-me-introduction-and.html and 1st post on french beans: http://www.gwenfarsgarden.info/2014/10/gardening-with-me-french-beans.html.

Anyway, I hope you join in, if and when you have time & energy. Good luck with the rest of the move. I look forward to reading more about your new Dodo garden :)

Juliet said...

Hello! Lovely to meet another pwme who gardens too. Thanks for your comment, and for following my new blog. Just had a quick look at yours, but I'm really foggy today so will be back to look properly another day. I like the idea of the meme, but I'm still struggling to catch up with things after the move so it might be a while before my brain is functional enough to take part!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I have only just worked out how to leave a comment!

I adore the stone rabbit.

I agree that it is a very good idea to wait a year before making changes to an established garden and envy you moving to a garden four times the size of your original one.

Rosemary (KG)

Juliet said...

Hi KG, thank you for commenting. It sounds as though Blogger is making it more difficult than it should be at the moment - I'll try to work out what's wrong and fix it.

I don't normally like statues and things in gardens, but I love the rabbit, too. It's hidden away and we'd been here some time before I found it.