Sunday, 19 October 2014

What Shall I Do With All These Bulbs?

I wasn't going to buy any plants for the new garden until I'd cleared some space in it. We brought a lot of plants in pots with us from our old garden, and the new garden is already overgrown and full of weeds well-established and mature. I've been very good so far - visits to garden centres have provided only necessities like compost, a new rake (our old one having broken), and a hoe, and not a single plant has slipped into my basket, not even accidentally.

Today I cracked. Crocus is selling off narcissus bulbs with 40% off, and the new garden is sadly lacking in narcissi (it has about six of them, planted ten feet apart). Gardeners World has an offer for 20% off everything at Crocus, and this can be used on top of sale prices. So I have just placed an order for 140 narcissus bulbs and I have nowhere in the garden to put them! I'm going to need a lot of bulb baskets ... .


One of the lonely solitary narcissi in our new garden

Oh - for those people who are interested in such things, this is what I ordered:

20 x Narcissus February Gold
20 x Narcissus Ice Follies
20 x Narcissus Minnow
20 x Narcissus Obvallaris
20 x Narcissus Rijnveldt's Early Sensation
20 x Narcissus Tete a Tete
20 x Narcissus Topolino

Even with the delivery charge, they came to a total of £29.80, which I think - having looked at prices on various other sites selling bulbs - is pretty good.

I won't be buying any more plants for a while though. Honest

No comments: