Blackbirds
Redwings
Robins
Song thrushes
Sparrows
Starlings
Blue tits
Coal tits
Great tits
Long-tailed tits
Chaffinches
Goldfinches
Greenfinches
Pied wagtails
Wrens
Collared doves
Wood pigeons
Crows
Magpies
Jackdaws
Jays
A green woodpecker
And a greater spotted woodpecker
We've also seen assorted ducks, geese, swans, herons, gulls, swallows, swifts, martens, and red kites flying overhead, and heard tawny owls (the ones which go twit-twoo).
What is the betting that any of these turn up for the RSPB Great Garden Birdwatch this weekend? I've posted about this before here and here, so you know what I think! But we'll be doing it anyway. If you have an hour to spare, do join in too - just go to the RSPB site and follow the instructions.
Starlings at the bottom of the garden on a non-Birdwatch day.
Tomorrow (Friday) we will have been here for a year. It's been quite a frustrating one in terms of gardening - we've had so much to do to the house that I've had very little time even to start clearing the plants we don't want, let alone to think about redesigning the garden or planting anything new. But in case anyone is wondering, I did eventually manage to plant all those bulbs, along with 3 white Cyclamen, 3 red-stemmed Cornus, 15 white and 24 lilac Crocus, 24 Leucojum Aestivum, and, um, a whole lot more Narcissi, mostly Mount Hood. Yes, I fell off the wagon again (oops).
Just a few of the pots currently cluttering up the patio - I think there are about 150 altogether.
The patio is now even more full of pots than it was already, so we really need to dig out some beds soon. At the moment I am just weeding around the snowdrops - among the few plants here we really want to keep - so that I can transplant them into yet more pots once they have finished flowering and move them where I want them once we've got the garden a bit more organised. I am looking forward to having some more time for gardening in our second year here!
No comments:
Post a Comment