The huge Choisyas are still flowering, but they are very much one-month wonders, and there are about half as many flowers on them as there were a couple of weeks ago. They have also grown to meet each other so that if we want to walk down the path between them we have to push our way through them.
There is a spot of colour provided by a Cistus which is just coming out, but like most things in our new garden, it is pink. Have I mentioned that I hate pink?!
And the corner bed in the back is looking worse than ever. The end fence panel blew right down and we had to remove it, dismantle it, and take it to the dump, so there is now a big gap, and a lovely view of our neighbour's oil tank. We've had two builders come and look at the fence, but the first took four weeks to send us a quote, and then the quote was very high and they wanted part-payment in advance, which we're not willing to do. The second emailed to say that they didn't have time to do the work after all. So we are no further on than we were last month!
I have dug up the Clematis Jackmanii which was climbing the fence and put it in a pot, and since I took the photos on Friday I've also dug up and potted two of the prettier Aquilegias from that bed and done some more weeding. However, I'm increasingly frustrated by the fact that I have beans hardening off ready to plant out around that wigwam and I daren't do it until the fence has been replaced, in case the builders damage them. They are now about 2 feet high and have nothing to climb!
We have another builder coming tomorrow, but we're not holding our breaths. Roll on the end of June.
By the way, if anyone's reading this blog and wondering what happened to the garden tour I started posting - I haven't forgotten it, I've just had too many other things to do and not enough brain-power to do them! But I do hope to continue it soon - at the moment I only seem to be showing you the bad bits of the garden, and there are a lot of good bits too.
For more end of month views, visit the Patient Gardener's blog.
3 comments:
Could you put a cane in each of the pots of beans so they can climb up them and then plant the whole thing once the fence is done? And I think the Chosyia will take a hard cut back if you want to get it under control. Cheer up it will come together soon.
I really like the cistus - what a shame you don't like pink! You can get a white variety.
Have you thought of just adding pots to the front garden with plants in flower, that you move around as they go over an the next lot comes into flower? This could be a temporary measure until you can do more work on the space and/or the fence is fixed.
I empathise with your struggles to get someone in to fix the fence. I sometimes think they give you a high quote because they don't actually want to do the work. Good luck with the next lot.
I'm sorry to read that you are finding your garden disappointing this month Juliet but they do not always live up to our expectations. I see that Helen and Gwenfar's Garden have come up with some excellent suggestions and can only echo what they say. What a shame about the fence and subsequent view of neighbour's oil tank. They are not the prettiest of objects to be looking at. If it were mine I think I would have a living screen round it! Hope that the fence is fixed before long, that your beans are soon climbing and that you are feeling happier with the garden by the end of the month.
Post a Comment