Saturday, 16 May 2015

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - May



My Papaver rupifragum, which flowered well into December last year, started early this year and has been flowering since April. It should continue to flower on and off all through the summer - I hope it keeps going into the winter again, as it's one of my favourite flowers.



My Narcissus minnow have also been flowering since April and are showing no sign of stopping!



Several of the Potentillas I brought with me from my old garden have come into flower in the last few days: clockwise from above left are Potentilla rupestris, Potentilla fruticosa goldfinger, Potentilla fruticosa abbotswood, and Potentilla megalantha.



The Choisyas in the front garden are covered with flowers. We will dig them out when we replace the garden, as they are not in great condition, they're too big for the space, and for most of the year they just sit there looking big and yellow, but I must admit that they are spectacular in May. Suddenly they seem to have a point!



If anyone can identify the flowers above I should be grateful. They are growing under one of the Choisyas, and while the flowers look quite similar, they are less open, and the plant is much smaller and has green leaves rather than yellow ones.



Near the end of the back garden we have a huge Solanum. When we moved in it was really overgrown and straggly, and threatening to take over the world, but we pruned it back heavily earlier this spring and it has rewarded us by flowering its socks off (if I dare use that phrase in the blogosphere!).



We will have to cut this back a bit too, when it has finished flowering. It is our neighbours' white lilac, which has decided to colonise our garden - it has grown all across our flower bed and is now spreading over the lawn. It's lovely, but I'd like to see what's underneath it!



The purple Allium I dug out of the corner bed last year has a twin! I will dig this out too, when I have a minute, and put it in with the the other one, out of harm's way, so it doesn't get beheaded when the fence is replaced.



This is another mystery, and I'd be grateful for an ID. I recognise it, but I just can't remember what it's called. They are all over the garden ...



... as are these Myosotis, or forget-me-nots.



We also have a lot of Geraniums coming into flower this month, both ones we brought with us and ones which were in the garden already. Above are a selection, from left to right, Geranium phaeum samobor, Geranium himalayense, and Geranium macrorrhizum white ness.



But the flowers we have most of at the moment are Aquilegias. In fact, we have so many different ones that I had more photos of them than I had of everything else put together, and had to give up on the idea of posting them all. I'll post some more another time, but I couldn't resist including the one above today - it's far and away my favourite.

I am a day late for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day this month, but having taken and sorted a lot of photos yesterday and then run out of time, I thought I would post them today anyway. For more blooms, visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

2 comments:

HappyMouffetard said...

Hi Juliet,

Wow - you've got some beautiful flowers out. It's like the whole of Spring has arrived at once.

To answer the question you asked on my GBBD post, the pink stripey flower is, in fact (for shame), a weed. It's Herb Robert, a member of the geranium family. I'm rather fond of it, so let it stay in most places, though it does self seed.

HM

Juliet said...

Thanks, HM! I am starting to realise quite how much it self-seeds - we seem to have a whole lot more of it than we did last year ...

Thanks too to Mags and Jane for helping to ID my mystery white flowers - the first one is Deutzia gracilis, and the second is Iberis sempervirens.