... but a closer look at the borders shows they are now full of plants coming into flower.
There is a Vinca creeping its way all along two sides of the triangle. I will probably try to remove this eventually, as it's a bit too rampant, but at the moment it's keeping the ground covered and providing some much-needed colour.
There are Primulas popping up all over the place ...
... including in the lawn, which seems to have decided it's a wildflower meadow and is also spotted with the purple Viola Cornuta I showed you in my last post (as well as dandelions, thistles, and enormous amounts of moss).
Some white Hellebores have opened up to join the dark pinkish ones I featured in my last end of month view ...
... and you can finally see what the previous owners did with that horrible stone wall - they planted it with Muscari. I'm not a big fan of these and won't be sad to lose them when we get rid of the wall, but like the Vinca they are providing much-needed colour at the moment.
There are also some lilac flowers growing down the side of the wall in a couple of places - I don't recognise these, so should be grateful if anyone could provide an ID. The flowers look a bit like Geraniums, but they are some sort of rockery plant, perhaps an Aubretia or a Phlox?
There is not very much I can do to the garden at the moment, but I have cut back all the Asters, the dead stems of which you might have noticed in my last couple of end of month view posts, and the front borders are looking a little tidier. I'm going to dig up some clumps of Asters and put them in a pot so we can keep them when the garden is finally bulldozed!
I've already dug up and potted all the Crocus and Narcissus I could find, but I missed this little clump, so will have to find another pot.
I've also dug up all the Crocus from the corner bed in the back garden, along with a few Anemone Blanda which came up and flowered between end of month views. R hoed the weeds from the straight part of the bed and dug out some more Japanese Anemones. He also removed the broken bits of fence, and I was going to say how much better that was looking ...
... but the strong winds we've had over the last couple of days have blown some more bits of it down. We'd hoped to get away with just repairing it for now, but since I took the photo below the whole thing has pretty much broken away from the post at the house end, so it looks as though we will have to replace it as soon as we can.
For more end of month views, visit the Patient Gardener's blog.
4 comments:
I inherited vinca in my front garden when we moved here, I've just pulled out more armfuls of the stuff to make way for more interesting plants. I also inherited a fence I was convinced we could salvage. I too was wrong, but hey, at least if you start out with a sturdy new fence you won't have to trample lovely new plants to replace it later. Enjoy the bulldozing!
I think that small flower is Aubretia - it's the right time and the leaves, from what I can tell, definitely look like Aubretia. The bees love these are they are nice early flowerer, so worth keeping, unless you hate it!
A shame about the fence. Sadly that's often the way, you start clearing then find what was there was holding up the fence. The vinca is nice to have even just for a short time until you can add more interesting plants, as Janet says.
Good luck with the bulldozing - I look forward to see how it's looking at the end of April.
Spring has arrived!
Vinca is so pretty, but I know its ambition is to take over the world!
Happy Gardening!
Lea
Thank you all for commenting, and I am sorry I haven't replied sooner - or indeed visited your blogs yet, Janet and Lea - I've had another really busy month and am struggling to catch up, but I haven't forgotten you ...
Janet - you are quite right about the fence, of course, I am just a bit miffed about it because it's on our neighbour's boundary, but is apparently our fence - we hadn't realised when we bought the house that we would end up being responsible for fences on both sides! But at least it means we will end up with something we like, and as you say, we can get it done before there are plants there to trample.
Julieanne - thank you for the ID. There are several more clumps out now and I think you are right. I do like it, but not sure whether we can find an alternative location for it when we get rid of the wall - will have to see.
Lea - oh yes, there is a lot of Vinca here and it's clearly bent on world domination :-D
Post a Comment