Catanache caerulea alba
I'm a day late for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day again - I took the photos yesterday and sorted them, but ran out of time to post them. But I thought as I had them ready I might as well post them today.
Leucojum autumnale
I'm still catching up with all the things I missed while my internet connection was down, including reading other blogs, and replying to the comments on this one. We've had four internet/phone engineers come out to try to fix the problem, and it still isn't properly sorted, but at least I now have reasonably constant internet, rather than half a minute's connection every half hour or so.
Fuchsia hawkshead
Several of the potted plants I brought with me when we moved are flowering this month, including the ones above, the Papaver rupifragum, which I've shown you a couple of times before, and the Potentilla fruticosas, which have all been in flower since May.
Potentilla fruticosa goldfinger
The courgettes I planted in the spring are also still flowering away ...
Courgette black beauty
... and so are the Calendulas which seeded themselves in the corner bed.
Calendula citrus cocktail
At the bottom of the garden there's a bare patch of earth which I have covered with annuals for the time being. Last year I just planted Phacelia there to break up the soil and keep down the weeds, and this year I planted more of that ...
Phacelia tanacetifolia
... and also a variety of Centaureas and Amberboas.

Centaureas including blue diadem (top left), the snowman (bottom centre), and black ball (bottom right), and Amberboa muricata (top right and bottom left)
However, the garden as a whole is sadly lacking in colour: most of the things which were here when we moved in seem to flower in spring or early summer, and there's very little still out now. I really need to change this!
Achillea ptarmica the pearl, with unidentified yellow daisies behind
If I'd had more time and more of an internet connection last month, I'd have posted photos of the Achillea and the yellow daisies above (photo taken July 2014) - some of these are still flowering in the back garden, but they are going over now. The Rudbeckia in the front are just starting to come out, but there's not much else out there.
Rudbeckia (toto?)
And there's not much else in the whole of the back garden either. The only things in full flower are the purpley-blue spikes in the photos below.
I don't know what they are so if anyone can ID them I'd be grateful: they look a bit like a Salvia, Nepeta, or Veronica? - but I'm not sure the leaves are right for any of these. The bees like them though!
For more blooms, visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens.
2 comments:
I wonder if your blue mystery is Agastache?
I've just seen something like that on a Pennsylvania blog.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agastache
Wonderful bee photos! The mystery plant does look a bit like a Salvia, especially the foliage, but the blooms are different than anything I'm familiar with. So frustrating when the internet isn't working, isn't it? Happy Bloom Day!
Post a Comment